When a Sikh or Hindu soldier died at one of the Brighton hospitals, the body would be accompanied by fellow soldiers of their respective faith to the burning ghats the military had set up located at the Downs one mile north-east of Patcham village.
On a spot 500 feet above sea level on Holt Hill, traditional funeral prayers would be conducted by the soldiers in attendance and the body cremated on one of three open-air concrete cremation slabs. After the body was burnt, the ashes would be scattered in the nearby sea with religion prayers to complete the funeral ceremonies. 
The first cremation occurred on December 31st, 1914 and the last one on 30th December 1915.  In total 53 Sikh and Hindu soldiers from the Brighton hospitals were cremated there. (names and details)
The Chattri monument is composed of white Sicilian marble and it approximately 2.7m wide and 8.8m high with a octagonal base with 8 pillars with square bases which eventually become octagonal and supporting a hollow dome. Indian ornamentation appears in the keystone finial and in two bands of incised decoration. The marble sits on a plinth of grey stone which stands over three granite blocks which cover the original concrete cremation slabs and the monument is surrounded by two acres of gardens. 
The base of the monument bears the following inscription in English and Hindi scripts on different sides:
TO THE MEMORY OF ALL THE INDIAN SOLDIERS WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR KING EMPEROR IN THE GREAT WAR THIS MONUMENT ERECTED ON THE SITE OF THE FUNERAL PYRE WHERE THE HINDUS AND SIKHS WHO DIED IN HOSPITAL AT BRIGHTON PASSED THROUGH THE FIRE IS IN GRATEFUL ADMIRATION AND BROTHERLY AFFECTION DEDICATED
1. A Short History In English, Gurmukhi & Urdu of the Royal Pavilion Brighton and a Description of it as A Hospital for Indian Soldiers (Corporation of Brighton, 1915) 12
2. Chattri Monument, Public Sculptures of Sussex, http://www.publicsculpturesofsussex.co.uk/object?id=373. Ibid.